The United States Air Force Band of the Golden West is stationed in the San Francisco Bay area at Travis Air Force Base, California. The only active duty Air Force band west of the Rockies, the Band of the Golden West is comprised of 47 talented and versatile Airmen-musicians under the command of Captain Jason S. Plosch. In addition to performing for civilian communities throughout the states of California, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, and Utah, the band supports 13 Air Force Bases, 8 Air Force Reserve Wings, and 6 recruiting squadrons in over 250 annual performances for 1.5 million listeners.
The organization offers 7 outstanding performing groups: Concert Band, Ceremonial Marching Band, Commanders jazz ensemble, Mobility popular music ensemble, Travis Brass quintet, Golden West Winds woodwind quintet, and The Blue Yonders folk-rock band. Additionally, the Band of the Golden West provides solo vocalists for the performance of our National Anthem and solo buglers for Taps details.
The Band of the Golden West has performed for gubernatorial inaugurations, with guest artists such as Marvin Stamm, Arturo Sandoval and Bob Hope, and for the fans of Oakland Athletics, San Francisco Giants, Oakland Raiders, San Francisco 49ers, and Infineon NASCAR races. In the last ten years the band has led off three Tournament of Roses parades in Pasadena, CA. In 2004, the USAF Band of the Golden West was honored to support the interment ceremony of President Ronald Reagan in Simi Valley, CA, an event, viewed by a global TV audience of over 400 million. More recent events include featured performances with the Los Angeles Philharmonic and the San Francisco Symphony.
Mission Advance Air Mobility Command and global Air Force missions by providing professional musical products and services for official military, recruiting, and community relations events
Using the power of music to stir hearts and minds of audiences worldwide, we are world-class Air Force Communicators striving to:
· Inspire our Air Force and the great nation we serve
· Communicate Air Force excellence
· Foster positive, long-lasting impressions of the Air Force and the United States of America
Objectives of the Air Force Bands Program
· Foster, enhance and lift the morale and esprit de corps of Airmen in the United States, outside the United States, and forward deployed locations.
· Increase public understanding of the importance of airpower, the mission, policies, and programs of the Air Force and the bravery, sacrifice and dedication of Airmen.
· Inspire patriotism and encourage young men and women to serve in the Air Force or other branches of the military.
· Foster a deep appreciation of the rich history and legacy of the Air Force.
· Strengthen relationships with a variety of publics to enhance the reputation of the Air Force as a respected professional organization charged with the responsibility for national security.
· Advance international relationships, using music to bridge language, cultural, societal, and socio-economic differences.
Inside Golden West
The Official Web site of the Band of the Golden West